Hire a Contractor to Install Windows and Doors in Toronto Properly
Window replacement is among those crucial and significant projects that need people to get in-depth information. But, the reality is that not all individuals have the same approach. The primary considerations are to analyze home’s surroundings and architectural style because they lead to the appropriate choice set that can match with appearance and performance needs. What if someone professional and experienced is hired to install windows and doors Toronto? Yes, things would become quite easier. People can discuss with their representatives and come up with various options that might go well with their property.
Since not all contractors have the same level of knowledge and exposure to market trends, homeowners should have to make sure that they are hiring the right contractor. With enough market exposure and knowledge, Total Home Windows and Doors suggests asking some basic questions that can assist people to analyze reputation, reliability and expertise of different contractors. They can compare quality of services and price quotes to pick up a suitable service provider whose team is dedicated and passionate to serve 24/7.
Another prominent feature of having a professional at service is that they always welcome questions with open hands and are ready to solve any sort of problem within no time. People can shortlist 2 or 3 contractors and ask the same questions to be sure about their way of working. Other than that, they also have to evaluate the terms of their project/contract because once they have understanding about how the work is supposed to be done, things would become quite easy and simple.
After selecting a contractor, homeowners are left with confidence that their windows and doors Toronto are installed with perfection and their investment is worth every dollar as it would allow them to quote an appropriate amount while selling it.
Know the Contractor
Total Home Windows and Doors recommends homeowners to evaluate their contractors as carefully as they use to evaluate lawyers or doctors. Obviously, nobody would want to compromise over quality of services and always go for a company that employs capable workers. In other words, people should have to pay attention on the project terms, products selection and budget in order to make sure that the services are offered as per agreed terms.
Sometimes, contractors do not take responsibility of anything that goes wrong after the project, meaning that they do not offer post installation services. However, another prominent sign of having an expert is that they always stand behind their work and clients can call whenever they want. Some of them also offer warranty/guarantee that if something goes wrong, they are responsible to correct it. There are various other indicators to consider during the evaluation process.
Interviewing the Contractor
As a matter of fact, no one could hire a contractor only by looking at their estimates and comparison with others. It is wise to take some time, list down necessary features for windows and doors Toronto and find out suitable service providers. People might have to talk with salespeople or customer service representatives in order to get clear understanding of how the company works. There should be a brief meeting between the two parties where, they would be asking questions from one another. Once everything is clear, it would be quite surprising to know the available options. The sign of talking with professional company’s salesperson is that:
- They show enthusiasm and pride in discussing the jobs.
- They have knowledge about other job fields that show their involvement in different projects.
Seven Questions to Ask Every Contractor
- Tell the full name and address of the company
With the help of complete address, people would be able to know their time period in business. If a contractor gives post office box number, it is recommended to take full street address in order to rest assured that the contractor has good reputation in the market. Having an office nearby is another plus point as it would be quite easier for workers to reach the home whenever needed.
- Does the service provider offer insurance?
Trusted and reputable contractors usually have workers’ compensation insurance and comprehensive liability insurance in order to provide cover in case of an accident. Now the question is that how people can verify that the contractor is legitimate and making the right claims? The best approach is to ask for insurance certifications for both general liability and workers’ compensation. Ask their representatives to send a copy before finalizing the deal.
Some contractors also have other insurance facilities, consisting of auto, health and life insurance for which, they usually give bland assurances to offer coverage when anything bad happens. As a homeowner, it’s everyone’s duty to ask for proof regarding workers’ compensation and general liability so that they are rest assured about satisfactory windows and doors Toronto installation.
Here, the thing to keep in mind is that contractors usually add insurance and overhead costs in their quotes that may vary from one project to the other due to price variations among contractors. Also, it would not be wise to compare quotes of companies that follow safety guidelines from those that do not follow. Obviously, there would be a visible difference in their expenses and quality of services. Even, workers’ compensation premium may vary anywhere between 20% and 100%, depending upon the state and nature of insurance. Below are some reasons behind why contractors do not offer full insurance:
- A part-time contractor
- Working as a self employed or in partnership
- New in the market
- Financial constraint to pay premium
- Don’t consider liable for post-installation problems.
So, it can be said that homeowners should have to decide on their own that whether it would be wise to hire a contractor who doesn’t provide coverage or not.
Is the company credentialed or licensed?
Rising this question means that people are concerned about installation of windows and doors Toronto and want their contractor to offer legitimate and satisfactory services. The question points out the fact that if the company is licensed by the city or province authorities because sometime, it’s not necessary to have one. However, when a state issues license to any service provider, they do proper examination of their products and services to make sure that the residents can have quality services within their premises. Total Home Windows and Doors is one of those contractors that posses license to offer any sort of home improvement services at affordable rates. So, people can decide in their favor.
Some contractors answer this question with their business license that is used for tax purposes and does not reflect competence of the contractor efficiently. There are many windows and doors manufacturers that offer different programs as support to prove themselves a knowledgeable and professional company. People can have a look at their credentials as part of their research to find out degree of professionalism, knowledge, and dedication among the companies.
For how long they have been offering services?
Without any doubt, the longer is always the better. Time period in business is one of the crucial aspects to replace old windows and doors Toronto with new ones. If a contractor has been in the market for less than three years, it would be better not to hire them because they usually have an unstable business with low learning curve. However, if someone refers to such contractor, it may be a good reason for consideration because people usually refer when they have tried the services and are completely satisfied with the results.
Does the company give references from previous jobs?
Before it’s time to finalize deal, homeowners should ask photos of completed projects. It would be ideal if they get something similar to their requirements as it would make sure that they can have everything they want. Also, ask for the names of previous clients so that people can talk with them and find out how efficiently they finished their work and how things are working since them.
Does the company give workmanship warranty?
Normally, contractors offer workmanship warranties for one year or more that people consider a plus point at their end. But in reality, longer warranties should be avoided because it may compromise over ability and intent of the company to fulfill their claims. So, people should always analyze contractors’ professionalism on their customer feedbacks and referrals by asking the following four important things:
- Does the contractor follow time to project completion as agreed?
- How responsive they are to provide information and make changes?
- Do they act as per clients’ interest?
- How trustworthy they have proved to be?
If windows and doors Toronto are manufactured by a different company and another contractor is hired for their installation, it is necessary to make sure that the manufacturer warranties products against defects or damages. This way, homeowners can have coverage for the entire window system and are rest assured about compensation if anything happens.
It has been observed that issues in material or workmanship become visible within a short time period, meaning that near-term warranties tend to be the most significant facilities that let homeowners ask for compensation immediately after the problem arises. Even, some professional and reliable contractors held themselves liable for workmanship problems no matter if the warranty time has lapsed.
How successfully does the company solve customer complaints?
Another thing to consider before hiring a contractor is to find out how efficiently they handle problems and what sort of approach they usually apply. It is ideal to ask for a project that had issues with workmanship. Or else, do the following things:
- Ask if any of their clients went to the court and proved them responsible for what happened.
- Ask if their license was suspended in the past. If yes, then why.
Also, homeowners can contract legitimate and trustworthy authorities like BBB (Better Business Bureau) and other licensing departments to find out how many complaints or bad reviews they have received against the contractor. Obviously, no business can work without problems and therefore, disputes arise irrespective of the time period the contractor has spent in the industry. Find out how they tackled the dispute and what was its result.
What else should be considered?
Apart from the above questions, here are some other important aspects to keep in mind:
- Contract Evaluation
When people contact a contractor, like Total Home Windows and Doors, they receive a job estimate or proposal explaining everything regarding their project. Here, they should learn the difference between proposal and estimate as most of the time, people mix their concept and end up having confusion to make a decision.
- First Up- Estimate
Based on its simple definition, estimate is the name of a single price quote, a well-described product, color and no alternatives. It is legitimate and traditional but doesn’t turn out to be customer-friendly.
- Second- Proposal
Proposal is referred to as tentative agreement in which, people have numerous choices by brand names, services, features and prices. There are additional provisions as well, consisting of financing options and change order conditions. Homeowners have to analyze their requirements and come up with the right choices. They can arrange products in three ranges- good, better, best- and go with the most suitable one. So, in summary, it can be said that proposal is customer-friendly.
- Ask for As Much Details As Needed
Most of the contracts are quite straightforward and simple or in other words, contracts from experienced and professional companies are more detailed and long. Though, it is necessary for homeowners to carefully read important points in the contract so as to make sure that there would be no misunderstandings or disagreements in the future.
Here are some significant items that should be considered at any cost. Let’s have a look at them:
- Compliance with Local Ordinances and Codes: They should be one of the deciding factors and people have to check if its cost is included and posting zone notices are available or not.
- Product Choices: There are wide ranges of windows and doors Toronto available in the market. Since every contractor offers different collection, people have to consider the most suitable models along with brand and manufacturers’ names. Also, products should have warranty coverage before and after installation so that there could be no difference in the aesthetics. Other considerable items are glass options, lock colors, handle styles and grids.
- Scheduling: Project start and stop dates are usually unpredictable due to prevailing weather conditions. But obviously, there could be some exceptions for instance, there might be a ‘no-later-than’ condition in the contract. Always be reasonable and make sure that the terms can be reinforced when necessary.
- Right-to-Rescind: This clause is related to the time period during which homeowners can cancel the deal without any penalty. Some states need such conditions in the contract due to which, people have to seriously look into their matter. As per the normal rules, homeowners have three days to use their right-to-rescind, meaning that if someone takes action after the time period has elapsed, there would be a certain amount charged by the contractor either as a percentage of contract’s amount or based on an agreement. The rule stands true for custom windows and doors that are usually not returned once the job is done.
- Warranty Specifications: Another significant factor is to ensure that workmanship follows all the requirements of warranty and installation instructions in order to successfully finish the contract.
- Cleanup: If necessary, homeowners can ask for daily cleanup especially when the project is going to take a few days.
- Payment Terms: terms, method and schedule of payment should be clearly written in the contract in order to avoid misunderstandings. Sometimes, contractors ask for an initial deposit, usually 25% to cover material cost. The rest of the amount would then be paid upon completion, after customers are satisfied with the services.
- Preliminary Inspection: Last but not the least, let the contractor inspect the property before asking for services as this way, experts can easily identify the nature and type of services that would restore its efficiency and aesthetic appeal. Here, the thing to make sure is that homeowners have better knowledge about the places and types of equipment that would be employed to execute the plan. If there are furniture, furnishings and other items in the room, they should be removed immediately so that workers can have enough room to more freely. Always make reasonable decisions and avoid getting into unrealistic conditions. Prepare a checklist and sign the contract with mutual understanding that both parties agree to the mentioned terms.
Evaluating the Contractor
With aforementioned information, homeowners can understand what it takes to make the project successful and ensure that windows and doors Toronto are installed properly. But, selecting a suitable contractor tends to be a crucial stage that can give positive as well as negative results, depending upon how people have hired them. Since contractors are always shopping for good opportunities to make profits and bring future business, most of them try to fool people with false claims and usually don’t work as they agree. On the other hand, good contractors come across with dishonest or unreasonable clients due to which, they search for warning signs to find further projects. So, here is what honest homeowners should do:
Asking Contractors to Work on the Project
Most of the homeowners may not receive satisfactory response from contractors because they show lack of interest and do not seem to be considering the offer. So, the question is how to let contractors take the project seriously?
- While calling a service provider, let them know that they are searching for a trusted company and need to collect some basic information to compare with two or more companies.
- Prefer to call nearest contractors because they usually take on projects that are near their vicinity.
- Explain that it’s not about the cheapest rates instead, it’s about quality. Ask for their best proposal.
- It is ideal to search neighborhood and find how contractors have worked on them. Ask for referrals and contact the service provider.
With these tips, homeowners can always have the best offer from the most trusted and reliable contractors.